My research has focussed on modelling and management of toxic cyanobacterial (blue green algal) blooms and more recently, in collaboration with Defu Xu of NUIST China, the use of constructed wetlands for water purification.
In addition to the print publications listed below I have regularly delivered conference presentations and conducted field work in several countries including the US, China, New Zealand, Spain and Greece.
I have been interviewed several times for ITV and BBC news following outbreaks of toxic blue-green algae affecting waterbodies, such as lakes and rivers used for recreation and/or fishing.
Recent Science Articles
- 2016 Xu, D. Yingxue, L. Howard, A. (2016) EFFECT OF THE INTERACTION OF EARTHWORMS AND SUBSTRATES ON PHOTOSYNTHETIC CHARACTERISTICS, NITROGEN AND PHOSPHORUS UPTAKE BY Iris pseudacorus IN CONSTRUCTED WETLAND SYSTEM, Environmental Engineering & Management Journal (EEMJ) . Jan2016, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p123-132. 10p.
- 2016 Howard, A. and Xu, D. (Eds) Constructed Wetlands Systems and Management, Water, special issue.
- Yang, Zhongchen; Wang, Qian; Zhang, Jian; Xie, Huijun; Feng, Suping (2016) Effect of Plant Harvesting on the Performance of Constructed Wetlands during Summer, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard and Defu Xu)
- Albalawneh, Abeer; Chang, Tsun-Kuo; Chou, Chi-Su; Naoum, Sireen (2016) Efficiency of a Horizontal Sub-Surface Flow Constructed Wetland Treatment System in an Arid Area, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Mateus, Dina; Vaz, Maalda; Capela, Isabel; Pinho, Henrique (2016) The Potential Growth of Sugarcane in Constructed Wetlands Designed for Tertiary reatment of Wastewater, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Chairawiwut, Warawut; McMartin, Dena; Azam, Shahid (2016) Salts Removal from Synthetic Solution-Potash Brine by Non-Planted Constructed Wetlands, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Mirjafari, Parissa; Baldwin, Susan (2016) Decline in Performance of Biochemical Reactors for Sulphate Removal from Mine-Influenced Water is Accompanied by Changes in Organic Matter Characteristics and Microbial Population Composition, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Rozema, Eric; VanderZaag, Andrew; Wood, Jeff; Drizo, Aleksandra; Zheng, Youbin; Madani, Ali; Gordon, Robert (2016) Constructed Wetlands for Agricultural Wastewater Treatment in Northeastern North America: A Review, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Bosak, Vera; VanderZaag, Andrew; Crolla, Anna; Kinsley, Christopher; Gordon, Robert (2016) Performance of a Constructed Wetland and Pretreatment System Receiving Potato Farm Wash Water, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- Fatehi Pouladi, Soheil; Anderson, Bruce; Wootton, Brent; Rozema, Lloyd (2016) Evaluation of Phytodesalination Potential of Vegetated Bioreactors Treating Greenhouse Effluent, Water: 8. (academic editor: Fabio Masi and Alan Howard)
- Shih, Shang-Shu; Hong, Shang-Shang; Chang, Tsang-Jung (2016) Flume Experiments for Optimizing the Hydraulic Performance of a Deep-Water Wetland Utilizing Emergent Vegetation and Obstructions, Water: 8. (academic editor: Alan Howard)
- 2016 Defu Xu, Jiaru Gu, Yingxue Li, Yu Zhang, Alan Howard, Yidong Guan, Jiuhai Li, & Hui Xu (2016) Purifying capability, enzyme activity, and nitrification potentials in December in integrated vertical flow constructed wetland with earthworms and different substrates, Environ Sci Pollut Res 23:273–281.
- 2015 Xu, Defu & Gu, Jiaru & Li, Yingxue & Zhang, Yu & Howard, Alan & Guan, Yidong & Li, Jiuhai & Xu, Hui. Purifying capability, enzyme activity, and nitrification potentials in December in integrated vertical flow constructed wetland with earthworms and different substrates. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 23. 10.1007/s11356-015-5734-6.
- 2015. Xu, D., Wang, L., Huili, L., Yingxue, L., Howard, A., Guan, Y., Jiuhai, L., Hui, X. The forms of bioavailability of phosphorus in integrated vertical flow constructed wetland with earthworms and different substrates. Chemosphere, 134, 492-498.
- 2014 Defu Xu, Yinjuan Wu, Yingxue Li, Alan Howard, Xiaodong Jiang, Yidong Guan, Yongxia Gao Influence of UV radiation on chlorophyll, and antioxidant enzymes of wetland plants in different types of constructed wetland, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-2909-5, Print ISSN 0944-1344, Online ISSN 1614-7499, URL http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11356-014-2909-5#
- 2013 Defu Xu, Yingxue Li, Alan Howard Influence of earthworm Eisenia fetida on removal efficiency of N and P in vertical flow constructed wetland, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Volume 20, Issue 9 , pp 5922-5929
- 2013 Xu, D., Li, Y., Howard, A. and Guan, Y. Effect of earthworm Eisenia fetida and wetland plants on nitrification and denitrification potentials in vertical flow constructed wetland. Chemosphere, 92 (2). pp. 201-206. ISSN 0045-6535
- 2013 Xu, D., Howard, A. Effects of substrates and earthworms on photosynthetic characteristics, nitrogen and phosphorus uptake by Iris Pseudacorus in a constructed wetland system. Environmental Engineering and Management. ISSN 1614-7499.
- 2012 Howard, A. Toxic Cyanobacteria in Bengstsson, L., Herschy, R. and Fairbridge, R. (eds) Encyclopedia of Lakes and Reservoirs. Springer. ISBN 9781402056161.
- 2011 Guven, B. and Howard, A. Sensitivity analysis of a cyanobacterial growth and movement model under two different flow regimes, Environmental Modeling and Assessment. 16:577-589.
- 2012 Howard, A. Using OneNote to support collaborative group field work, Engage in Teaching and Learning, Sept 10th 2012.
- 2013 Howard, A. QGIS: A new option for GIS Teaching, Engage in Teaching and Learning, July 18th 2013.